Since the Dani pants were originally designed as a summer pattern, I was worried that the corduroy would be too heavy, especially around the elastic waistband. As a result I chose a shirting weight corduroy that is only about 4.5oz per yard. I think it’s totally fine and could even be heavier.
I am wearing them here with a simple black Nikko top and heeled booties. I love the simple combo.
I sewed up the zipper front view of the pants. The only change that I made to the pattern was to omit the back pockets to keep it on the dressier side – but that is just personal preference.
Im really happy with the end result of these. They feel like the perfect fall pant in corduroy and will fit really well into my wardrobe.
I am getting close to finishing up my fall Capsule Wardrobe. You can learn more about it here.
Today I am sharing the next item for my capsule wardrobe, which is a black pair of Hudson pants.
I sewed these up in a synthetic sweater knit from Surge Fabric Shop. It has a beautiful high end feel to it, but without the itchiness of a wool. I’m pretty excited about how they turned out. They feel like a luxurious loungewear pant that is a bit more elevated than a true sweat pant.
I did my normal adjustments of shortening the pattern for my 5’3″ frame and also used my high waist tutorial to adjust the rise on these. You can find that tutorial here. It’s a really easy tutorial and in my opinion gives a great modern fit.
For the drawstring on these, I used something called ribbon yarn from the craft store. I have also seen similar items called t-shirt yarn and tape yarn. All of them have a flat ribbon look while being knit. I believe they are used for crocheting, but I’m not sure. On the end of the drawstring I finished them with a black aglet. I bought these off etsy, but there are lots of types and weights to be found. I think it adds a nice, professional finish to it.
That’s it for today! I can’t wait to wear these over the holidays. I think they are the perfect pant to lounge around in or throw on a jacket with to run and errand.
This week I continued on my True Bias Capsule Wardrobe by sewing up these Dani Pants in a lightweight plaid suiting. To make them a bit more dressy, I decided to add belt loops and the end result is exactly what I wanted. I will show you how I did this in the following tutorial. It really is an easy upgrade and makes the otherwise casual pants feel very work appropriate.
You will sew up the Danis according to the instructions until it comes to the waistband. At this point you will want to create your belt loops by cutting a strip of fabric that is about 17.5″ long and about 1 inch wide.
Finish one of the long edges.
Fold in the unfinished long edge to the wrong side by 3/8″ and press. Fold the finished long edge in by 1/4″ to the wrong side, covering the raw edges of the first fold, and press. Edgestitch along the two folded edges to secure.
Cut into 5 pieces – each about 3.5″ long.
Pin with right sides touching and pointing down, and sew them into the waistband at the following places.
two at the seams for the front waistband
two 1 inch behind the side seams
one at center back
Finish the waistband according to the instructions with the belt loops loose and pointing down. Make sure you have done all of your waistband topstitching before moving forward (the following photo only shows one of the lines of topstitching because I forgot to take a pic once all three were done.)
Turn under the top 1/2″ of each belt loop and pull up towards the top. Align it with the top line of topstitching. Sew a small line of stitching along the top edge of each belt loop to secure.
Since I know I will be wearing a belt with this pair of Danis, I decided to go ahead and omit the buttons and instead sew on some large hook and eyes for a flatter waistband.
That is it! I love my new belted Dani pants. The plaid matching was not fun, but was worth it in the end. Love how it looks styled with boots and a tucked in Nikko top.
I won’t go into the whole tutorial since Tessuiti already did, but essentially then have you add width to CF to accommodate a button placket and add a bit of height to the neckline as well. I would also add that you should add a bit of length to the neckline band to accommodate the button placket too. I forgot, so I made my button placket super skinny so it wasn’t a big deal. In the future, I would make it wider.
The tutorial also advises you to slash and spread your sleeve for more volume at the wrist. I decided to skip this since I feel like the Roscoe already has a lot of sleeve volume.
I used two fabrics for my blouses. The rust colored fabric is a very lightweight cotton lawn. It has a slight sheen to it and is a bit on the see thru side, but that doesn’t bother me. I adore this color and love how the cotton adds a bit of extra structure to this top.
The second fabric is a rayon crepe in ivory. I think this basic is going to get so much wear! It’s soft, has lots of pretty drape, and feels like an upscaled workhorse for my closet.
The plan was to sew two. I decided to sew up the longer view in the black sweater knit. This sweater knit grew quite a bit while I was sewing it up. It also has a heavy drape, so it also grew a bit in length.
The end result is a nice, oversized grandpa style sweater that I love. I already have been wearing it ton. It worked great with leggings and a tank for an easy weekend outfit. Plus it keeps me nice and cozy.
The second Marlo that I sewed up, is the short cropped view. I used a more stable sweater knit for the main Marlo. For the bands I used a matching, thick rib knit.
The end result is a much more structured Marlo than the first. It almost feels like a jacket, more than a sweater. It feels a bit more dressy that the other. I love them both in different ways.
OK, that is it. I can’t wait to keep sewing on the rest of my Capsule Wardrobe later this week.