After making the Alice dress a month or so ago, I knew that I wanted to try the pattern (by Tessuit Fabrics) again, this time with some eyelet. It’s one of my favorite trends this summer. I love this eyelet because it is more geometric and less flowery like most that I find. I got it from my favorite linen store, Gray line Linens, in the NYC garment district. I wanted to keep the bottom half lightweight and flowy so I went with some black rayon challis from fabric.com.
After some debate I decided to make this one a top instead of a dress length because I figured that the eyelet might make the garment feel a little more dressed up, and the dress length even more so. I went with the top so it might feel a bit more everyday wearable.
I had to make a few changes to accomodate the eyelet. The yoke is supposed to be double to create a facing which I obviously couldn’t do without ruining the affect. So I made the yoke one layer and used black 1/2″ single fold bias tape to finish the neckline. There are probably better ways to do this, but it worked well for me. I think that if top was not black then this finish might end up looking a bit messy and you might be better off using a double fold bias tape and enclosing the neckline within it.
I also had to shorten the yoke on both the front and back so that it didn’t show too much cleavage. It normally hits about an inch lower than you are seeing in my pictures which with wearing a nude bra looked pretty crazy. I also had to adjust the armholes accordingly.
One last adjustment that I made was raising the depth of the armhole by almost an inch. On my last version you could see my bra when I raised my arms. An inch up was perfect for me.
Love my new blouse!
Blouse : Made by me (pattern is Alice Top by Tessuti)
Pants : Old Navy
Shoes : Lotta Clog