SEWING ON TREND : THE ASYMMETRICAL PENCIL SKIRT

December 10, 2013

I have noticed a trend popping up with skirts that I think a lot of sewists can get excited about.  No longer is a simple pencil skirt enough, now it seems that they need to be angled, cut, paneled, and zippered.  It seems to transform the pencil from the 1950’s classic silhouette to a much more modern, edgy style.  I think this is a really fun trend that is easy to replicate with some really basic sewing/pattern manipulation skills, or even better yet, a pattern.

Here are some ready to wear inspirations:

1. Alexander Wang Overlay Skirt  |  2. Helmut Lang Kinetic Jersey Skirt  |  3. Helmut Lang Leather Skirt  |  4. Rachel Zoe Bowery Assymetrical Skirt  |  5. Cedric Charlier Leather Skirt

And here are some patterns to give it a go:

Vogue 8928

Burdastyle Asymmetrical Zipper Skirt

Burdastyle Slit Skirt

What do you guys think?

Do you like this trend?

Which pattern would you try?

Any other great patterns that I am missing?

• Reply Rachel December 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I like the Named Rene (?) skirt. It looks lovely, though is perhaps not a traditional pencil skirt.

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe December 11, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I like it! Particularly the idea of a leather version..

• Reply muenzeeins December 11, 2013 at 4:42 AM

I like it, especially the burda pattern with the zip! I’ll have it on my to do list as well with maybe a jeans-fabric and a contrasting zip…

• Reply MrsSmith December 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

#4 and #5 – SWOON! Love those two. I really like the BurdaStyle skirt. Noticed it right away when it was released last month.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee December 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

#5 is giving me hear palpitations!! But then again, this time of year I always go head over heals for anything leather! So, yeah, I echo Cirque Du Bebe…

• Reply gingermakes December 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I love this style, especially #1 and #3. I love any kind of asymmetry and really like clothes that incorporate it. But I’m a little less fond of the skirts that look more unfinished, like you just wrapped a rectangle around your waist sloppily and safety pinned it into place. I think it looks coolest when it really looks intentional and designed, if you know what I mean.

• Reply Gail December 12, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I used for Vogue pattern as the bottom half of my daughter’s valedictory dinner dress. It opens very high! She felt uncomfortable sitting down as in her words “it flashed”.

• Reply Carri August 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future.
    All the best