ON MY MIND

ON MY MIND : SEWING AND CATS?

May 1, 2013

Of all of my friends that I have in real life maybe 2 or 3 own cats (and they are all creatives now that I think about it), but amongst my friends that I have met through bogging, and the blogs that I follow, I would guess that half of them have cats.  I don’t own any animals.  In fact my daughter has allergies so I probably won’t ever own a furry pet, so I find myself very curious.

Why do so many creatives – sewists specifically – own cats?  There has to be a connection that I am missing.
Can’t wait to hear what you guys have to say.
Have you guys noticed this connection too?

ps And just to make it clear – I like your cats and your cat posts.  I just am curious.

• Reply Laura Sinclair May 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It’s so true!

It reminds me of when I was working at a ski resort in Japan – the of the hundreds that came through maybe half a dozen owned PC computers – everyone else had Macs. Even though Mac owners tend to be in the minority in the general population.

I’m rambling. Anyway, my point is there must be some weird demographic thing at play. The people that like skiing in Japan also like Macs. The people who like sewing/knitting also like cats.

I’d love to know what the connection is!

• Reply Paige P May 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I own a cat, but a dog also.

Last year we had to have emergency surgery on the dog because he managed to swallow a sewing needle and it got stuck in his stomach :(. The vet said she has done needle removal on a lot of cats, but never a dog, so I guess dogs are way less common for sewers, lol.

The pup is fully recovered, but I sew in a room with a locked door now.

• Reply anneke May 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I noticed the same thing with illustrators… A lot of artists I know have a cat.

I have a cat as well (there used to be two but one of them sadly passed away earlier this year) and he’s just a little buddy who likes to hang around when I’m working. He loves to sit on my lap but he’s really happy with some company as well, and I like having him around when I’m working. It’s fun to have a kitty purring away next to you while you’re hemming.

• Reply clippedcurves May 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Yes, I have noticed this (in abundance).
    Any cat owning, sewing bloggers out there? Please stop posting pictures of your cats. It’s not cute. It’s not interesting. It’s not what I visit your blog for.

• Reply Sarah Bailey May 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM

When people stop posting what they want to post in order to post what YOU want them to post it’s no longer their blog, it’s yours. If people’s cat photos annoy you that much stop reading their blog. That’s your prerogative, as much as it is theirs to post their cat photos.

I happily post photos of my cats on my blog. They’re the best friends I could have. I think certain people have an affinity for cats or dogs, and perhaps it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate the more nuanced relationship one has with a cat. Dogs wear their emotions on their sleeves and are a little more simple. I don’t mean that as an insult, I really love dogs too, but cats are more complicated, and also more independent.

• Reply Nicole Runde May 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply clippedcurves May 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sarah,
      I am really sorry that my previous post offended you. I wrote it honestly intending to be lighthearted and joking. I would never boycott a blog that I enjoyed reading just because of a few cat photos.

• Reply mjb May 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

No cats for me (I’m very allergic, and the one I lived with previously was a pain). My dog can be a pain and loves to lay on any fresh fabric or quilt blocks I put down, which I think is funny.

• Reply Dora May 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I keep a Pinterest board for sewing bloggers’ cats, just for fun 🙂

• Reply KellyLeaSews May 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

that is too funny, look at all of those cats!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee May 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I have a dog and a cat! I can’t really say that I’m a “dog person” or a “cat person” – mostly right now I dream of not having any animals and how hair-free my house would be! I think, and I’m just guessing, that cats are an interesting pet to the creative set because they are pretty low maintenance. They don’t need to be walked, like dogs, or really even played with. You can leave a cat for a decent amount of time without coming home to a mess. And they have a lot of attitude – so you get plenty of personality for not much upkeep! In my experience, dogs are more work and require you to keep more of a schedule (plus, omg, training them is hard!) – not always appealing to artistic types.

• Reply Meigan May 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I have noticed the same thing! It seems like so many sewists have cats! I personally have 2. I prefer cats because they can take care of themselves and are lower maintenance than dogs (no going for a walk, etc). I imagine there must be some psychological link between creativity and dependency (of animals). I’m not a shrink though!

• Reply Kestrel May 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’m a total cliched seamstress with 2 cats. I’ve never owned a dog so I can’t compare but I love the company of a cat. Not too high maintenance, they can be great companions, and well worth putting up with the hair shedding everywhere. I can’t shed any light on the reason for seamstresses having cats though!

• Reply liza jane May 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have always wondered the same thing. I have two cats- though by accident. I never really considered myself a “cat person” until we got them. They do have personality. I sure do love them now. Although I agree with sallie about dreaming of a hair free home!

• Reply creativecounselor May 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Can’t help you much on this one — I have dogs. My dog (the other died recently) is a great sewing companion. He loves to sit in my sewing room with me while I putter away. And I love that he can’t jump up and get hair all over my fabric! Dogs are more work than cats, and require you to be home at fairly regular times during the day, so that may be a lot of why creative types tend towards cats. If you’re going to lose yourself in the creative process, it’s probably inconvenient to take a break every couple of hours to let dogs in or out or take them for a walk.

Cat pictures aren’t my particular cup of tea, but it’s not my blog, and I totally get the attachment. My dogs were my babies before I had babies!

• Reply Kelly May 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I love cats and dogs, and can’t wait to have to deal with pet hair in the house! I don’t have theories about why people who sew also have cats, but I do like seeing cat photos that prove the point 🙂

• Reply Emily May 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Haha!! I have noticed that as well. I don’t have a cat or a dog, so I must be in the minority.

• Reply Clio May 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I’m actually allergic to all things fluffy, but have noticed the connection, too. I’ve also noticed that a lot of sewing bloggers say that they themselves tend to be shy/non-extroverted, and I can’t help thinking that maybe there is some connection there as well – that a pet fills a similar desire for companionship as does blogging about what is basically a solo activity.

• Reply gingermakes May 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I think there’s something to this. I think I’m in the minority in that I’m a sewing blogger that’s pretty extroverted and energetic, and I’m a (multiple!) dog owner. Dogs tend to run the same speed as me, and cats are probably more similar to some of my blogger friends who are quieter. Granted, there’s also the fact that many/most of the bloggers I follow are apartment-dwellers, and cats are infinitely more practical than, say, a Great Dane, for compact living! I’ve also noticed that quite a few of the other dog owners in the blogosphere work from home, which makes it easier to care for a dog.

• Reply Heather Lou May 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I’ve totally noticed the same thing. I’d go so far as to say 80% of sewists have cats. Maybe because we are too busy sewing an making things to walk a dog?

• Reply Madalynne May 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I had a cat but my landlord made me give her away. I think cats and artist share the mindset of living freely and independently. Unlike a dog, cats don’t rely on humans to play, entertain, etc. Well, most of the time.

• Reply Miss May 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Boo to the landlord – should have given them away instead.

• Reply Sabs May 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have 2 cats. They like “helping” me – mainly by sitting on or trying to rip up my pattern pieces… But I do love the way they sleep by me listening to the drone of my machine when I’m sewing.

• Reply mamemimo.com May 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Maybe is because they love thread as much as us? I have to hide all the spools before going to sleep, they always try to pick up all of them, including the one that I am using on the sewing machine 😉

• Reply Elise Lin May 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

It never occurred to me, but now that you mention it… I am the proud servant of two cats myself. If it’s a sewing thing, I don’t know. Maybe in combination with blogging and sewing it is. I love the kitty pictures on the sewing blogs I visit, and I also love the dogs 🙂

• Reply Sew Brunswick May 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Yes I’d noticed that! I don’t have any pets as we travel too much. I do have two kids!! I’ve also noticed a connection between sewing bloggers and running. So many blogs that I read also mention running.

• Reply Valerie May 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

A lot of sewists love macs, cycling, running etc. It’s just that the cats are photogenic and seem to want to participate in the sewing ..

• Reply Jill May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I think that a lot of creative people have cats because they are introverts, and most cats make great introvert pets – they are kind of “around,” offer occasional affection, but mostly entertain and take care of themselves. (Just my opinion).

• Reply Sickofitcindy May 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I always considered myself a dog person until two cats literally followed me home. What else could I do? I’m not made of stone. Plus cats seem more practical right now in our NYC apartment.

• Reply Sufiya H. May 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Please, sewists, keep thread AWAY from your cats…they often EAT it and this can result in a HORRIBLE DEATH. I have a thread-eating cat; twice when she was a kitten I actually pulled thread with NEEDLES on it out of her mouth (she got to my pincushion) and once she looked unwell for a few days-and I later found a crap in the litter box with thread AND A NEEDLE in it…the needle had gone through backwards due to her eating the thread first, and the thread had not gotten hung up on her intestines, THANK GOD. Our vet says she was EXTREMELY fortunate!

I am much more obsessive about keeping thread away from my cat these days and there have been no more incidents…but I always make a point of WARNING sewists about cats eating thread; a cat with intestinal blockage and damage is NOT something I would wish on anyone!

• Reply sarahp May 3, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Perhaps it has to do with enjoying your own company and doing things at home.

I have the opposite warning of cats and pins- my. At steals my pincushion, then pulls out all my pins in a surprise location, then leaves the pincushion around, empty. A malicious warning. It’s shoes on until the hiding spot is found!

• Reply Zoe May 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

My mum & nana are cat people so I guess I inherited it? Huh, I’ve never thought about it, but it’s true many sewers have cats!
    Cats do not help with sewing. I’ve done my best to store my fabric stash away from my cat but I always find her sleeping in it :/
    Don’t get me started on pattern tissue paper, every pattern of mine has a rip in it from my cat!

• Reply dixie May 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

i have one cat. i don’t know about the whole ‘cats and creative types’ but i do know one thing, they keep the fabric warm. how many ‘cats sleeping on fabric’ pics have you seen on sewing blogs? 😉