OTHER

INJURED

April 27, 2012

I have had many friends take a sewing needle through their finger, but have felt perhaps a bit proud of myself for never having such an injury.  Yesterday I was humbled.  While cutting white (of coarse) bias strips with my rotary cutter and at the same time watching an episode of Larkrise to Candleford (my latest obsession) I sliced a nice chunk off of my pointer finger.  It happened so fast and so easily that I was a bit stunned.  Let’s just say that a lot of blood followed.  Nothing that needed stitches, but I fear that my finger will always be a bit skinnier.

Who knew that sewing could be such a dangerous activity and I wonder, what mishaps have you all had while sewing?

• Reply Alisa April 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Ouch!

My daughter was “showing her friend how my rotary cutter worked” and sliced off the tip of her finger. Just the skin and flesh but still over a year later I can see that her finger is different.

Hope it doesn’t take too long to heal.

• Reply beautifulshell April 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM

nothing that bad, but lark rise to candleford is SO GOOD. finger-slicing good.

• Reply Mrs Biddle April 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Poor you. That must really hurt. I sewed through my finger whilst being hasty on the machine whilst using a zipper foot and it killed. Hope it’s better soon. Mrs B x

• Reply Tina April 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My sewing injuries include several gashes from pins being dragged across my lap while sewing draperies and a few near misses when broken needles have gone flying toward my eyes.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee April 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Owie Zowie! That sounds so painful! I’m such a baby at the sight (or thought, really) of my own blood that I probably would have fainted clean on the spot! No major sewing injuries yet (fingers crossed – and unsliced) just my fair share of needle stabs and iron burns!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee April 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Oh Wait! I forgot about the time that my Ginghers (big heavy ones) went toppling off the table and landed point down in my foot! That was a good one. Lots of blood on that one! Those Ginghers… man… they’re sharp! … Can’t believe I forgot that… must have been trying to repress it… thanks…

• Reply emedoodle April 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Ouch! Nothing terrible to reveal here for me… thankfully! I’m sure it’ll get me one of these days – I’m fearful of my needle in my new Juki (1500 stitches per minute….) It could sew straight through my hand without a second to react! So I’m taking the safe route more often and keeping my fingers away.

I’m actually most afraid of having something like that happen to my barely sewing friends who come to play in the sewing room! My friend Mary would leave the rotary cutter open all the time if I didn’t watch her like a HAWK. And she’s clumsy too – I”m sure it’d be slicing through her so quick.

I hope you heal quickly! 🙂

• Reply Shona April 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Ouch! I had an “incident” just after buying my rotary cutter (so it was still nice and sharp!). I was rushing to get my supplies together for a class I was teaching and when I pulled my mat off the table my rotary cutter fell on my foot – with the safety off, blade first! I didn’t even realized it happened until I looked down and saw blood going everywhere. It went almost down to the bone and cut through some nerves (maybe why I didn’t feel it?). I have a big scar on the top of my foot and a small numb spot at the tip of my big toe to show for it. But somehow I’m oddly proud of it. “Look at my sewing scar!” haha! And now I NEVER ever leave the safety off, even for a second!

• Reply SewLindaAnn April 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’ve had almost the same one. Rotary cutting too late, too tired. They’re so sharp and cut so much so fast it’s shocking. I had time to run upstairs and grab a washcloth before it started bleeding and it was a long time healing. I’ve learned to pay attention now.

• Reply Kelli May 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I am fairly safe from sewing injuries, but cut myself fairly regularly when cooking. I keep trying to convince my husband I would be safer to just sew all of the time and hire a personal chef, but so far, he seems to think that money would be better spent on groceries, bills, and gasoline…whatever!

• Reply Stephanie May 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Oh no! That’s seriously my worst fear. I use my rotary cutter all of the time and I’m always terrified that I’m going to slice open my forearm – I have a sewing instructor who did that. He has SCARS. I’ve sewn my finger. It was years ago and super traumatic. I also step on pins and darning needles occasionally despite my best efforts to keep my carpeted sewing room floor pin free.

I should probs get a tetanus shot.

• Reply dixie May 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Ooooh! I winced reading that! I’ve taken a few pins and needles through the heel of my foot (hard to see fallen pins in carpet!) and I can’t even count the number of iron burns I’ve gotten.

• Reply Christine May 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Yikes! That’s my biggest fear in working with a rotary cutter. It’s one of the reasons the majority of my patterns are cut with scissors instead. Everyone tells me the rotary is so much faster, but I do enjoy having all of my digits. Hope it heals fast for you!