OTHER

BRIGHT LIPSTICK – YES OR NO

February 7, 2012

I have been wanted to do the bright lipstick trend for awhile now, but have felt a bit sheepish to do so.  It seems so bold.  I think it is so cute on others, but I lack the confidence that I can truly pull it off.  So I tried out a few colors on photoshop to see what I thought and well, the jury is still out.

So I want to know:

Do you rock the bright lipstick trend?

If so do you have any colors that your recommend esp. for a newbie like me?

What is the age cutoff for a trend like this?

Do you think I can pull it off?

• Reply deadlycraft February 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I know very little about this, but looking at those pictures you look better in the warmer more pink tones than the orangey ones. So top left and middle bottom look good on you 🙂

• Reply Megan February 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I like the middle bottom one best. As far as trends go I’m not one to offer advice…ha! You look adorable in that shirt and scarf!

• Reply Susan February 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I say the first one is my favorite, but I like more subdued colors on the lips with a more high-impact eye.

• Reply katherine h February 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Like you, I want to try this but always ending up wiping it off before I leave the house. I even went to a make-up counter to try different colours and the assistant convinced me to leave with safe colours that I already own.

On you, I prefer the middle 2 and the bottom left.

• Reply Jayson & Sara February 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Do it!! Go to the Mac counter and have them help you. I wear hot red all the time. It’s funny at first – you feel like everyone is looking at your lips – but then it makes you feel like yeah I’m crazy and spunky and totally rocking red lips!

• Reply Kelli Ward February 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Thanks Sara, it’s good to hear from another red head. (although yours is a much more pretty and true red) I always think its going to go to orange on me, but if you rock it, I am going to try. I like to think of myself as spunky too.

• Reply kat February 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

How do you guys know each other?! Sara and I danced together at BYU and Jayson was one of our accompanists.

I would never personally rock the bright lipstick trend, mostly because I don’t have the greatest shaped lips and bright colors don’t seem to accentuate them in a good way. However, I think other people pull it off well with the right shade and I think you totally could. I think out of these colors, the bottom middle looks the best on you.

• Reply lsaspacey February 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

You can definitely get away with a bright lipstick but perhaps not those shades. The best of the bunch would be 2nd row middle. I know these aren’t real lipsticks but I think you need a richer color, whereas these are almost flourescent. I think MAC Dubonnet or the original Viva Glam color would look great.

• Reply Susan February 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I agree with Isaspacy. And there is no age cutoff. At 60 I still wear a bright lipstick. Goes with my bright clothes 🙂

• Reply Amanda Evans February 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

You can always ask for samples at the make-up counter too, if you’re timid about buying. I bought a bright red last summer and hardly wore it… So when I wanted to try a new color this summer I got a sample at Bobbi Brown first so I could try it for a week and then buy it if I actually wore it.

• Reply Sewing Princess February 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

If you can get a sample that would be excellent. Doing it on Photoshop will never give you the same result. I don’t wear any lipstick just a lipbalm…I like that the eyes are the center of the attention.

• Reply Rachel February 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

lipstick, yes. It’s awesome on you. The orangie on is my fav. Rachel @ Be. Mine

• Reply Leah Franqui February 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I think anyone can rock the bright lipstick! It’s such a statement but it’s also effortlessly stylish and classy. I don’t think there is an age cut-off, just stick to something that works with your skin tone. The nice thing about lipstick is, it can be less time consuming then a lot of eye make up, just grab, smear, and go. If you don’t want to commit all the way, Korres makes these amazing deeply tinted lip balms that are all natural, great for your lips, and really nice colors. You can get them at Sephora.

strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

• Reply Rachael Honner February 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Oh how cute! Def a fan of #5 because it suits your skin tone. You can definitely pull it off.

• Reply Donda February 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I think they all look great and you can pull any of them off if you decide to. Everyone’s tastes are so different that, I’m realising, as long as you like it then people will too, coz you’ll emanate confidence.

• Reply meg February 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM

#2 and #5 look fantastic on you!