The challenge required an a-line skirt which had me stalled from the very beginning because it's just not a style that I usually wear. When I thought more about it an a-line cut reminds me of the seventies so I decided to go retro and create a truly seventies inspired skirt. I found this awesome mystery fabric in the back of a random store in the garment district in my favorite color - orange-red. It has a similar appearance to corduroy, but it is actually a looser weave than that and more hemp-like to the touch.
Now for the details:
The pattern actually wasn't too hard to create. I ended up making two muslins to get the fit perfect and then another pattern piece for the pocket. I created a seam down both the front and back of the skirt for detail and so that I could move the zipper to the back. I lined the pocket with some fun vintage fabric that I bought at a garage sale years ago. ( I love having those secret personal touches)
I must say that I am pretty proud of the inside of this skirt. I think that it is the most well made garment I have ever created. I've never spent so much time worrying about what the inside of my sewn item would look like before this challenge. I ended up creating a bunch of 1/4" bias tape from the same vintage fabric that I used for the pockets. I used the bias tape to bind the seam allowances on the back and the hem for a nice/neat finish.
For the zipper I used an invisible zipper. I love how nice and clean an invisible zipper is. Nothing better in my opinion. And then I just sewed a little hook n eye at the top to keep everything secure.
For the waistband I decided to use one of the techniques that Deborah used in her tutorials. She suggested simply encasing the top edge of the skirt in double fold bias tape. I knew that I wanted a wider waistband than hers so I created mine 1" wide instead of 1/2". I really love how it lays nice and flat. I hand-stitched it in place on the inside of the skirt for a clean and seamless finish.
I used a double stitch line on the pockets and center seam so I decided to use it on the hem as well. I think it adds to the seventies/ a little bit rodeo look of the skirt (plus it's a lot more fun than doing it by hand :)
And that is it. It was really a great experience and I am pretty excited about the way it turned out. I've never had a sewn item that was as pretty on the inside as it was on the outside before.
I can't wait to see what everyone else made. Crossing my fingers that I make it to the next round!